When I bought my house, I had NO clue how expensive window treatments would be. This is 1 home decor area I am always looking for chic yet affordable way to go around. One of my preferred window treatments I have in my house is situated in my bathroom. Let me tell you, it was the simplest to create. Best of all, it had been ridiculously cheap! I was able to create the whole thing for less than $25!
The backstory for this project… I had only gone through a large change in my entire life, finished putting a new roof on my home and immediately discovered there was considerable water damage to one wall in my bathroom. While I was attempting to figure out how to cover all this as a solo single women, it’s OK you will can make it work! I needed a quick answer to the naked window within this new area. Do not want my poor neighbors getting a show every time I used my brand new shower! So I went on the search for a cheap and cheerful window treatment to actually finish off the space.
- 2 ½ inch wood screws
- Old Barnwood
- Stud Finder
- Impact Driver/Cordless Drill
- Tape Measure
I believe that the toughest aspect of this project was finding the perfect old, weathered and aged board. I just happened to get a plank from an old pallet I dismantled a couple of years prior and was just waiting for the right job. Now, I have seen old wood promoted on Craigslist, on The Facebook Marketplace, and in my local salvage shop. Just in case you don’t have your very own ideal board sitting around.
After searching for a while looking for cheap absolute tab drapes, Amazon was my best alternative. Knowing the curtains I ordered had 7 tabs ; I made sure I ordered at least 7 hooks. Measuring the plank, I made certain I snapped them somewhat evenly. Lets be honest I HATE math I tried to measure out equally spaced positioning of the pins, I wont lie, I did not quantify out these into the 1/8th of an inch. Visual guessing was OK for me personally.
Once the pins were all fixed to the board, I had to find my studs over the window. I realized they were not very overly consistent. Nothing in this home appears to be if I need it! Going with it, I decided exposed screws would add to the farmhouse/industrial look. So drilling directly into the studs from the front part of the board, I attached the board flush to the wall.